Everything's Bouquet

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy 96th Birthday Memaw : Our Favorite St. Patrick's Day Girl

Posted by PicasaIsn't she a cutie?!  We love our Memaw, and are very blessed to celebrate her 96th birthday today.  She is an amazing woman: still lives alone, makes her daily cornbread and vegetables, and enjoys keeping up with her children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren.  She even enjoyed those two crazy boys posing with her as he opened her birthday Snuggie early a couple of weekends ago.  She is my handsome hubby's grandma, and I will never forget what she said to me 21 years ago.  I was 7 months new into the family, meeting all the family in South Carolina for my hubby's younger brothers college graduation, unsure of myself, pregnant and feeling seasick constantly, and trying to find an early morning breakfast table in the hotel dining area.  She called me over to her table, chatted with me non-stop, and told me,"Honey, you and I have something in common; we are both outsiders in this family, and so we have to stick together."  Now at that point she had already been an "outsider" for over 25 years, and now that I look back on her Matriarchal influence realize she was anything but an outsider, but at that time in my naive and young mind she couldn't have said anything better to make me feel included, loved, and secure.  I know, being an outsider shouldn't have really made me feel secure, but knowing she, the oldest and highly revered lady of the family wanted to cohort with me even in the realm of outsider made me feel ironically included; I had an ally.  To this day she still makes me feel like we are friends with something in common.  I have a funny feeling that everyone else in the family feels the same way about her.  Happy Birthday Memaw, and thank you for making my world a lot brighter!

2 comments:

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

This post made me smile. How wonderful that she is healthy and well at 96 and she can still make wonderful memories with you all. You are blessed!

fatfighter said...

That is so great that she still is able to live alone and is healthy! Love it!