Everything's Bouquet

Sunday, May 1, 2011

HAPPY MAY DAY!!!

Twenty- three years ago today, on a tiny mountain in South Carolina, my sweet man gave me a package of Peanut M&M's with the sparkler on my left hand in it. Five moves, two companies, one boy followed by four sisters bookended by two last boys, one Jack Russell, one fluffy alley cat, and one loud Lhasa Apso later, and I still love Peanut M&M's, tiny mountains with my man, and the sparker stuck on my left hand.  Praising God today for my wonderful soul mate.  He puts up with me through thick and  thin (literally). Below is our engagement picture from May 1988.


What a week this has been.  My heart has been heavy for all the victims of the terrible storms. We are under warnings for flooding in western Tennessee, and one of my friends was joking that she didn't have time to be a flood victim because she is planning her daughter's wedding.  I could relate thinking about all the things in my life a flooded house would interrupt.  Then it struck me that hundreds of peoples  lives last week were suddenly changed FOREVER.  They weren't expecting it; they had no idea tragedy was around their corner. Many people lost loved ones, homes, and are still hoping and praying to find missing loved ones.  My heart and prayers are burdened for these poor people.  I just cannot imagine their grief and pain.

This week I continued to struggle.  It is weird how when I am on a good roll eating wise nothing can stop me, but when I do get derailed I cannot seem to get back on track. I have had a break from clean eating basically from the Friday before Easter through today.  ENOUGH.  NO MAS. I am starting to sink back into old habits where I am determined to eat correctly the following morning but never follow through with the plan the entire day.  I am snacking on more sugary things and it is really showing in my fasting blood sugar numbers.  I was just skimming The Amen Solution by Dr. Daniel G. Amen, M.D. today and caught a section that, in my understanding, said if you are glucose intolerant (ME), and your sugars are high it causes more cravings for sugary carbs. That produces an awful cycle.  High sugar wants more sugar causing high sugar causing cravings wanting more sugar etc.  That is so me, and I do not like this feeling of fighting constant cravings.  So it is May, and tomorrow I am cutting out all sugary things.  I am eating clean again....I am determined to nip this in the bud now before I gain all my weight back.

That brings me to the sad disappointing announcement that for the month of April I only lost 4 pounds. That leaves my total loss at minus 34 pounds.  That is way short of my April dream goal of 13 pounds.  Okay that goal was a little ridiculous, but the sad part is at one point before Easter weekend I was down 8 pounds.  I really need to do better in May.

How did my other goals go?  I did keep up on my daily Bible reading, started the Jennifer Rothschild study, but did not read Crazy Love yet.  Obviously I did not eat clean all month.  I did not get in 5 times of exercise each week, but got at least 4 in and added more strength training.  I think I did blog at least twice a week and journal each day.  Mainly though, I am discouraged with my actions this past week, and I am determined to turn this around.

Goals for May???  I hesitate to make them.  What is the fine line between goals that motivate me and help and goals that are unreasonable and discouraging?  I am gonna go simple this month.  Simple and very reasonable so that I can accomplish my goals realistically.

SIMPLE MAY GOALS;

Eat clean.  Can I take Mother's Day off?  I don't know; I don't seem to get back on track well.
Journal daily. Blog at least twice a week.
Exercise at least 4 times a week.
Keep up on my daily Bible reading and study.
Lose 6 to 8 pounds.  Of course I would like to lose more, but reasonable is my goal.

0 comments: